My School DC, in partnership with DCPS and the majority of DC public charter schools, makes it easier for families to take advantage of DC's many school options.
The My School DC lottery application
The My School DC lottery application is a single online application you must use to apply to attend:
- Participating public charter schools (PK3–12)
- DCPS school outside your boundary or feeder pattern for any grade (PK3–12), including DCPS citywide schools
- PK3 or PK4 programs at any DCPS school, including your in-boundary school
- DCPS selective high schools (9–12)
Participating schools will only accept the My School DC application available at MySchoolDC.org. Each student can apply to up to 12 schools. On each student’s application, a family lists schools in the order they like them — their 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice, and so on. Parents should only select schools they want their child to attend.
The My School DC common lottery
The My School DC common lottery is a single, random lottery that determines placement for new students at all participating schools. Student-school matches are based on the number of available spaces at each school; sibling, proximity, and other lottery preferences; how each student ranked his or her school choices; and each student's random lottery number. (Through the My School DC common lottery, the six DCPS selective high schools select students based on specific criteria.)
Why have a common lottery?
The common lottery is designed to:
- Simplify the application process for families.
- Match students with the schools they want most. Students are only waitlisted at schools ranked above where they are matched or enrolled.
- Maximize the number of students who are matched with a school they choose. No student will be offered more than one space, so more students will be matched with schools.